Helpful energy saving tips for winter!
SolarGreen has developed the following list of helpful hints and tips for all Australian families to consider for the upcoming colder months.
Don’t overheat your home
- Keep your thermostat set to 20ºC in winter. You shouldn't need it any warmer than this.
- Program your heater’s thermostat so it only works when you need it. You can buy an affordable timer from any hardware store.
- Consider installing a reverse cycle solar air conditioning system and save up to 50% of your running costs.
- Think about what you're wearing before turning on your heater. If you're not wearing a jumper, pants and socks then you probably don't need your heater on at all!
FACT: Turning your thermostat down by 2ºC you could reduce your energy bill by up to $150 per year.*
Keep the heat in your home & don't let it escape
- By closing all doors to rooms that you do not need to use, you could save up to $60 a year*.
- Seal draughts and gaps around external doors and windows and save up to $40 a year*.
- Keep curtains and external blinds closed at night and on cloudy days to keep the cold out.
- Open curtains when the sun is shining, especially for windows facing north.
- Consider installing double glazed windows
- Installing or topping up your home insulation will keep you both warmer in winter and cooler in summer. By doing so will reduce your heating and air-conditioning costs, and could save you up to $350 a year.* Click here to read about SolarGreen's insulation products.
FACT: Up to 35% of your home’s heat can escape through doors, windows, walls and ceilings.
Use hot water wisely
- Wash clothes in cold water and you will save considerable amounts of energy.
- Fix any leaking hot taps and you’ll save both energy and water.
- Avoid rinsing dishes under running hot water. Scrape your plates first and then use a plug in the sink to wash your dishes.
- If you don't already have a front-loading washing machine, consider investing in one. They use less energy and less water than top loading machines.
- Consider installing solar hot water to significantly reduce your hot water costs.
- Reduce your shower time! By reducing the time spent in the shower from 7 minutes to 4 minutes could save up to 13,800 litres of water each year and a considerable amount of money.*
- Install a 3 star showerhead and the average household can save up to $150 a year.*
|Tags: solar energy solar power solar|
Solar AC / DC Air Con...
for your chance to win
A message from our